We have just compiled our statistics for Q3 – 2013 and we now present an inside view of the failures that we have seen this quarter:
Some points to note:
- Seagate & Western Digital continue to dominate the failure stats. However, don’t assume that they are necessarily of lesser-quality. The market penetration and popularity of both manufacturers must be factored.
- WD acquired the HDD business of Hitachi GST in Q2 of 2012
- WD divested to Toshiba assets that enabled Toshiba to manufacture and sell 3.5-inch hard drives for the desktop and consumer electronics markets
- Seagate acquired the HDD business of Samsung in Q2 of 2011
- Seagate acquired Maxtor in 2006 (Maxtor had acquired Quantum in 2000)
- Our statistics are based on the manufacturers of the underlying hard drive and ignore the drive “assemblers” such as Lacie/Buffalo/Iomega,etc”